I'm not an aspiring chef, and I'm not certainly not a foodie because there are a lot of foods I'm unwilling to try. I'm a vegetarian so that rules out a lot of things.
But I love food and I think a lot about it and I've read a lot about it. I really like eating seasonally from the farmers market and growing food when I can.
I also kind of hate the thought that I have to make food for myself three times a day.
So when I find a delicious meal that is easy to make, tasty enough that I want to eat it every day for awhile, and pretty healthy - well that's just about the best thing ever.
I've found an amazingly simple, tasty and healthy breakfast, but it actually requires some advanced preparation. But it's simple! Here's how you do it:
HOW TO MAKE SOAKED BUCKWHEAT
Don't be fooled by its name, buckwheat is a seed and is gluten-free.
- Buy buckwheat from the bulk aisle of your hippie natural foods store. Don't get roasted or toasted buckwheat, raw is what you want.
- Put about a cup of buckwheat in a bowl and cover it with plenty of water, because the buckwheat groats will expand as they soak. Let it soak for at least 30 minutes but not more than a day. I leave it overnight.
- Now you rinse. Get a sieve and rinse off your buckwheat, rinse a few times. You'll get a lot of starchy, viscous stuff during initial rinses, but when the water's looking clear, they're ready.
- You can store your soaked buckwheat for several days in the fridge.
BUCKWHEAT BREAKFAST BOWL
- Take out a medium sized bowl.
- Spoon in some yogurt. I like plain coconut yogurt.
- Add a few spoonfuls of soaked buckwheat.
- Dice up a half or a whole fruit. Banana, pear, apple or mango work well. If fruit isn't in season, then sprinkle in some goji berries, raisins or frozen berries.
- The rest of these are optional, but I like to throw in a bunch of them:
- Hemp seeds
- Cacao nibs
- Chia seeds
- Nuts or seeds - I like walnuts or pumpkin seeds
- You can also drizzle on secret potions, powders or oils. Or maple syrup if you have a sweet tooth.
- Mix it all up and breakfast is served.